3 May 2016

The River Tyburn

The Tyburn provided water for London from the 13th Century onwards, however there are even earlier written accounts of the Tyburn, dating back to 785 A.D. Today, the tributary can still be seen within the basement of Grays, where it has become a popular tourist attraction filled with fish.

For many centuries, the name Tyburn was synonymous with capital punishment, it having been the principal place for the execution of London criminals and convicted traitors. Before Oxford Street took its present name within the 18th century, it was called Tyburn Road, which led to the Tyburn hanging gallows at the location of Marble Arch and Tyburn Lane.



The Grade II listed Edwardian building that Grays resides in was originally designed for J.Bolding and Son plumbers. When Grays owner Bennie Gray discovered the running water through the basement when he bought the building in 1977, he decided to keep it and now the basement within the Grays Mews is one of the sole places where you can view the Tyburn as running water. It also flows deep beneath the grounds Buckingham Palace.

At Grays we have a great selection of dealers with shops alongside the Tyburn. We have selected a few of our favourite pieces from these dealers below:

19th Century Red goblet with lid, c1870-1880. Available from Mousa Antiques

Vintage Turquoise Glass and Diamante Necklace 1950s available from Arabella Bianco

19th Century Tall green vases with linear gold design, c1870-1880, available from Mousa Antiques

19th Century Yellow glass depicting a stag, c1880. Available from Mousa Antiques

20th Century Dan running mask in form of an anthropomorphised hare, avaliable from Peter Sloane


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...